|Remember our fallen heroes
"Remember when, things were really hummin'?" You did if you made it to our 50th Class Reunion. We took "A Walk Down Memory Lane" as we strolled the halls of LHS. We finished on the 6th with dinner, entertainment and connecting with classmates from 50 years ago!
Firsts for 1967:
- Worlds First Heart Transplant
- First ATM
- Monterey International Pop Music Festival
- Teachers strikes througout the country for pay increases
- First Super Bowl played between Green Bay Packers & Kansas City Chiefs
- Six Day War: Arab forces attack Israel, beginning the Yom Kippur War
- Average cost of new house: $14,250
- Average income per year: $7,300
- Average monthly rent: $125
- Gas per gallon: 33 cents
- Average cost of a new car: $2,750
- Movie tickets: $1.25
- Polaroid camera: $50
- Federal minimum wage increased to $1.40 an hour
- Boxer Muhammed Ali was stripped of his boxing world championship for refusing to be inducted into the US Army.
- In the middle east, Israel also went to war with Syria, Egypt and Jordan in the 6 day war and when it was over, Israel controlled and occupied a lot more territory than before the war.
- Once again, in the summer, cities throughout America exploded in rioting and looting..the worst being in Detroit on 7/23 where 7,000 national Guard were brought in to restore law and order on the streets.
- In England a new type of model became a fashion sensation by the name of Twiggy.
- Mini skirts continued to get shorter and even more popular with a short lived fashion being 'paper clothing'.
- Discotheques and singles bars appeared across cities around the world and the Beatles continue to reign supreme with the release of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album.
- This year was 'coined' the summer of love when young teenagers got friendly and smoked pot, grooving to the music of The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and the Byrds.
- The movie industry moved with the times and produced movies that would appeal to this younger audience including The Graduate, Bonnie & Clyde and Cool Hand Luke.
- TV shows included The Fugitive and the Monkees. Color TV sets become popular as the price comes down and more programs are made in color.
While it's been 50 years since we last roamed the halls of Liberty High School, and while Almart's and Subko's no longer exist, there is still some "high school" that exists inside all of us, just begging to be reawakened and set free. Our 50th class reunion helped us all to remembered the 'good ole days' but also knowing that time does move on. They are great memories and will always be in our hearts, but we move forward knowing that better days are coming, as Gary Lavelle shared in his message to us.